Students shine at OC Music annual night of nights!
Posted on 27 October 2017
On Friday 20 October, the Lingo Lin Performing Arts Theatre was full to capacity with excited parents and guests eagerly awaiting the start of the annual Music Gala; and what a wonderful night of outstanding performances it was.
The program, entitled ‘Folklorica’, was designed to inspire, enliven and entertain. From traditional and contemporary grooves to the quirky and endearing. Folk music is sewn into the fabric of society. It is a genre that can change hearts and minds and has the power to unite us in celebration.
Dean of Music, Emma Dron, outlined some highlights of the evening:
- Symphony Strings opening the night totally unconducted and being led by one of the newest students to our co-curricular program (Eve MacDonald Year 11)
- The outstanding achievement of our Year 5 Beginner Band students and Beginner Strings performing a multi part level 1 concert Band/Orchestral Fanfare in their very first year of learning!
- The gorgeous Junior Choir students bringing all their enthusiasm to the stage under the loving guidance of their conductor.
- The brilliance of Year 9 student (Kristina Newton) managing the technical and musical complexity of a classical concerto backed by our very own new Symphony Orchestra in its first year of inception!
- The volume and energy of our new 60 plus voice strong massed secondary Chorale, also in their first year of formation.
- A record number of dashing Middle School boys in the 2017 Redback chorus backed by a swinging Intermediate Jazz ensemble
- The power and creativity of our new look and new sounding Junior and Senior Percussion ensembles. Wow!
- The ever amazing high class sound of our College Big Band
- The mesmerising combined Guitars collaborating beautifully with our vocal students
- The sheer size and awesomeness of the Wind ensemble and the Symphonic Band in combination
- Our wonderful student leaders as MCs
- The beautiful solo performances of our many talented staff members giving generously of their time and talents to enhancing the event.
Our Music Department is one of which we are very proud. Special thanks to the amazing Mrs Sandra Middleton and her backstage crew, this year featuring the wonderful Mr Jack Pincott. The event would also not have been nearly as much fun if it weren’t for the Music Support Group and their wonderful volunteers who created a festive atmosphere while keeping everyone well fed and hydrated in true MSG style! Thank you to Martyna Hinchliffe, Kris Richter, Sharon Watson and Gita Akhtar for their coordination to the catering for this event!
Of course, none of this would have been possible without the dedication and hard work of all of the wonderful Music teachers and students and the support of the parents, families and friends; well done to all involved in the magic that is Music Gala.